BUILDING AN INTERNATIONAL CENTRE FOR EXCELLENCE
UPDATE OF IES-FUTO/NEWMAP/WORLD BANK COLLABORATION 2020
In the drive for making Institute of Erosion Studies, Federal University of Technology, Owerri an International Centre for Erosion Studies the NEWMAP in collaboration with WORLD BANK has successfully installed the following:
- An automated weather station; which is functional and operational
- An underground water monitor; which is functional and operational
- Again, The NEWMAP/WORLD BANK donated a TOYOTA HILUX Vehicle for various assignments and projects of the Institute;
- While The Institute has revived an academic journal in IES known and called Journal of Erosion and Environmental Degradations (JEED), which was published online on the FUTO WEBSITE in the month of June 2020.
- The Institute has an abundant and highly qualified academic and technical staff as well as competent administrative staff.
- In order to further strengthen the Institute, completion of the renovation project on the physical structure(laboratories, an administrative block of offices) and expansion of the laboratories (geotechnical, geophysical, soil and geoinformatics) by the NEWMAP/WORLD BANK collaboration will certainly transform the place into a beehive of various academic activities which were earlier approved by University Senate. Academic programmes include certificate, diploma and various degrees of the Premier University of Science and Technology.
A standard research library with current books, journals and other materials in various areas of soil erosion studies, flood hard/flood risk assessment, environmental pollution, climatology and other specialized areas of environmental degradation.
Standard Laboratory (Geotechnical/Engineering Geological Laboratory)
The IES has a standard and well-equipped laboratory with state of the art equipment for geological, hydrological, geotechnical and engineering studies.
The following engineering geological tests are carried out at the IES:
- Specific gravity
- Compaction Test(Proctor)
- Direct Shear Test
- Consolidation Test
- Atterberg limits
- Sieve Analysis
- Density Tests (Bulk /Dry Density tests)
- California Bearing Test
- Infiltration Test
- Permeability Test
- Soil Porosity Test
- Moisture Content Test, etc
Automated Meteorological (Weather) Station
The Institute of Erosion Studies (IES) has an Automated Weather Station (AWS) donated by the World Bank Supported Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP). The weather monitoring station is equipped with different sensors capable of measuring weather parameters such as wind speed and direction, air temperature, air humidity, air pressure, rain amount, duration and intensity, etc. The weather data may be sent wirelessly through the cellular network as a text message or short Messaging System (SMS) or collected from the station using USB computer devices.
At IES, daily meteorological data from 2016 till date are available and can be obtained in digital format. The available data sets include:
- Wind Speed (AN2) ii) Rain Guage (RG2)
- DL2e Temperature (TMI)
- Solar Radiation (ES2)
- Air Pressure (B55) vi) Relative Humidity (RH2)
- Air Temperature (TMI)
- Wind Direction (WD2)
- Ultra Violet (UVP)
- Total PAR (BFB)
- Energy (BFW) xii) Wetness Sensing (SWS)
- Soil Temperature
- Domsol (GSI)
- Domsol Up (GSI)
- Domsol Down (GSI)
- Total PAR (GS5)
- Net Radiation(NR2)
- Sunshine hours (BFD)